If you have never experienced Relay for Life, you are missing out on a bond that gathers 10,000 people together for a night. People just walk all around and begin talking to strangers as if they have been friends for years. There are the people with that special shirt that says "Survivor" on the back and those wearing signs that say "I am walking in memory of ______" or "I am walking in honor of _____ ."
Cancer. What a nasty word to know. I long for the day when we never have to say cancer again. What a joyous day that will be!! Tonight I welcomed back that familiar feeling I got so many times in middle school and high school of amazement and almost pride. Amazement that so many people are fighting this disease, whether being a cancer patient/survivor, a caregiver, a friend, a relative. And pride that all these people have there hearts and minds set to fighting off this terrible disease.
10 quick years ago one of my best friends, Alaina Shapiro, was diagnosed with cancer. I remember so vividly going downtown to the hospital to visit her, going to her house just to be teenage girls together, going to Relays, going to games, just simply being her friend. I have such sweet memories of people cheering for her because she fought and won the battle but I also have memories of her struggles with losing hair and the beautiful scar (at least I think it is) on her leg. (Don't kill me for talking about that Lanie!)
Cancer is everywhere. It doesn't pick and choose. No matter how wonderful a person is, they can still get cancer. You all probably know a cancer survivor, a cancer patient, a person going through testing to see if they have cancer, or a loved one that has died from cancer. YOU know the struggles it brings everyone affected by cancer.
The joy of Relay: to show cancer we won't stand for it!!!! It is not okay for cancer to claim lives and cause pain. It just isn't fair. 10,000 people joined together and walked around the track in the dark with candles lit and bagpipes playing Amazing Grace in the front. Luminaries line the sides and people are just standing there watching and reflecting. This is community. This is the good in people coming out to show their support to their neighbors.
Relay will forever hold a special place in my heart. Alaina will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart. She is my hero and she truly exemplifies strength and courage. Thank you, dear friend, for opening your life to me and allowing me to share such touching memories with you!
To hear Alaina's story, click here.
We don't lose faith, we keep our hope, and we live by strength - that is how we survive. Attitude is everything.
Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love,
it cannot shatter hope,
it cannot corrode faith,
it cannot eat away peace.
It cannot kill friendship,
it cannot silence courage,
it cannot invade the soul,
it cannot reduce eternal life,
it cannot destroy confidence,
it cannot shut out memories,
it cannot quench the spirit.
Cancer is so limited!
It cannot cripple love,
it cannot shatter hope,
it cannot corrode faith,
it cannot eat away peace.
It cannot kill friendship,
it cannot silence courage,
it cannot invade the soul,
it cannot reduce eternal life,
it cannot destroy confidence,
it cannot shut out memories,
it cannot quench the spirit.
Cancer is so limited!
No comments:
Post a Comment