(I won't judge you if you read that in your head as 'Wonderful World of Whiting' because of the alliteration...just saying.)
Writing is spectacular, it really is. Think about all the things you can do with it. You can write a card or letter to someone, you can take notes so you don't forget, you can write a funny joke, you can record an event, you can express your feelings, and you can create a life you've always wished you had lived. And that is just a sampling of what you can do with the written word. There are no boundaries when it comes to writing. There is always a feeling of freedom when writing.
I am a writer. I am not a professional writer, but I do write for pleasure. In college I had to write essay after essay. In fact, I wrote an essay about why I write. Here is an excerpt:
"I write to clear my head so I do not regret saying something I shouldn’t. I keep a notebook full of quotes that make me laugh, smile, or inspire me. I write for my own pleasure to keep me from going insane. I write events of the day to later turn into a story or simply so I can remember events that occurred. I jot down life changing moments, to keep a record of my life. I write memories that made my heart glad. I write to explain something that can not be explained verbally. I write to capture beauty.
I write for my classes and my internship. I write to practice expressing myself. I write letters to my friends to encourage them on hard days. I write e-mails and facebook posts. I make lists to keep me updated on what I need to finish that day or within the course of a week. I write to figure out how I feel about something. I write to confront someone when it is just too hard to do it in person. I write to give someone credit or praise for an accomplishment."
Never in my wildest dreams did I envision myself as a writer. For as long as I could remember I wanted to be a nurse. When that didn't work out as planned, God presented a new plan. I was doing really well in my English courses and decided to switch to English instead of leaving my college in hopes of getting into a different nursing school. This is by far the best decision I have made. By becoming an English major I was able to discover this passion I had and I felt what it was like to do what I love. Read and write (I still don't think my family believes me when I say that!). I didn't realize how much power words can hold.
Many people learn about the history of a country or region from history books; I have learned from the literature I have read. History presents facts whilst literature presents emotions and a personal account of the details of life that the history books overlook. I can read a piece of fiction and feel exactly what the characters feel. I am able to go into their time and live the way they did. I understand why they felt the way they did. Literature is a tool that takes you that extra step beyond figures into human desires and needs. I can grasp history easier by feeling it rather than memorizing it.
Writing is a funny thing as well. I covered why it was important, but there is also this issue of "writers block." You don't have to be a writer to feel this. Have you ever been stuck for what to write on a card? Writer's Block! This is also why I have about 15 half written posts sitting and waiting to be finished (sorry Sissy!). I have to go with the flow, what I feel motivated to write at any given time. This is incredibly frustrating because I get motivated to write something and then can only get about one sentence out. It is my hope that I can at least make what I write worth the reader's time, even if it is just myself. So, are you interested in what I am writing yet?
For the past couple of years I have just been writing for myself. I write blogs and I write in my writer's journal. I take notes on what I want to write about in the future and I record stories that could one day make an appearance in a piece of my writing. It is my hope that I will expand this passion of mine into something more than just for myself and the handful of fabulous people that take time to read my ramblings. I don't really know where I want to take the writing or what will happen with it. I can simply hope that something will come about it someday. I am moving in the right direction, though. I am slowly but surely working on a new project that may get my name out there. It is a style of writing that I have dabbled in very little so I am not putting too much faith in this being the start of a new career or anything of the sorts. If something happens with it, I will definitely let you know! Just keep your fingers crossed for me!
Well, I am dubbing this as a complete waste of a post. I have no clue what my point is aside from gushing about how much I love literature and the use of words. I just felt like it was time for a new post and this is what I currently have on my mind I suppose! Thanks for sticking with it. Now I am off to read New Moon. It is not my favorite of the books in The Twilight Saga and I am having trouble bringing myself to read past the super sad part. So, I am just going to sit down and force myself to just get through it so I can get to the better stuff in Eclipse. You know what I am talking about Twihards ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment