Monday, August 9, 2010

2 Years.

08.08.08. That is the day I graduated college. I was dressed in a borrowed cap and gown and marched into my college's gym with my head held high in victory. It was the day I have dreamt about my whole life. I was truly proud of myself because I finally met a major goal that I set for myself. I never faltered my path. I knew what I wanted, I pursued, and this was the day I achieved it. I was surrounded by my support system - my family and a few very dear friends. I will forever be grateful to my supporters, and in particular my parents. They showed just enough excitement in my successes that I felt good, but not overly confident. They showed just enough disappointment in my failures that I knew I had to strive for better, but never felt like a waste. They showed just enough freedom for me to learn on my own, but always caught me when I needed them. Most importantly, they loved me enough to hold my hand while putting a boot to my backside (and money in my pocket) to get me through the four years that have set a foundation for my successful life waiting to be had. I will never forget how good I felt walking across that stage to accept my (faux)diploma and set off on a new journey, a journey I was not prepared for...

College was never really an option, it was pretty much expected. I am so thankful that I was raised in a family that supports higher education and really grew me up to know I would go to college and excited for that opportunity. I started preschool when I was 3 and I have been a student ever since. I was 22 when I graduated college. That is 19 years of formal education under my belt. I am not done either. I have plans to go on to graduate school. I am a student. I was raised to learn, and quite frankly, I feel strange not sitting in a classroom every week. Despite not sitting in class, I am still learning. Only now I am learning a different type of lesson. I may not be diagramming my every sentence, but I am learning life lessons to take with me on my journeys. Many of you have many more life lessons than I do and I could probably learn a great deal from you (so share in the comments section if you have anything!).

My lessons learned may be simple. They may be typical. I can guarantee, however, that they are real, and they have taught me a great deal about myself and the world I knew nothing about.

My lessons as a college graduate. Thus far at least.
*Your field of study for your undergraduate degree really doesn't mean anything. Employers just want to see that you have a higher education.

*I got my job a mere 2 months after graduation. Although it felt like an eternity to me, apparently I was quite lucky.

*Moving home was a great idea. Despite the struggles of being an independent-yet-dependent-on-my-parents-wallet-and-kind-words college student to being a grown adult living with my parents, it has given me the opportunity to save money and time to decide what I want out of my life.

*I know I can't stay home forever, but I really don't want to leave this nest of security.

*Likewise, considering the idea of moving away from the one place I have found where I can be 100% myself and feel so utterly comfortable to pursue my passions who knows where, is the scariest thing I have had to think about.

*Managing finances is much harder and more complicated than I ever dreamed. From setting up a 401k to taxes to balancing my checkbook - I am learning. And I am in debt to my Daddy for his many lessons (that he has to repeat hundreds of times before they sink in).

*Old habits dies hard. I still feel like I should be writing essays in my free time instead of watching every drama series and sitcom on television. What do adults do with all this free time??

*I have met a lot of different personalities in the past 2 years. I have always been friends with people that have similar passions, beliefs, and/or interests as me. Being forced to work with people that contain none of those similarities has been an incredible eye opener.

*My first "big" purchase was my puppy Darby. She is the sunshine of my day and is definitely more of a child to me than a dog. She is my first real responsibility in my personal life and she depends on me for her basic survival. In turn, she loyally follows me, loves me, and sees me as the perfect person. I thank her for loving me so greatly.

*Churches definitely do not cater to the recent college graduate, especially if they are single. Come on community, let's focus on young 20's going through the biggest transition of their life to date.

*I never dreamed I would graduate college as a single. I always assumed I would graduate, marry my college sweetheart, and have our first child by the age of 26 or 27. This dream is unrealistic and I am thoroughly let down that it didn't come true. This fact is by far the hardest thing to deal with in my current life.

*However, I have learned that great things can happen when you aren't tied down. Money can be spent on travel instead of saving for a house (for example). I have also learned the love you would have for a spouse can be poured into your parents, siblings, extended family, and causes you support. And the love you would have for a child you can pour into nieces, nephews, and your puppy.

*Being an Aunt is a joy unlike any other. I find myself constantly thinking about the kids and how I can better love them.

*I am also proud of my car purchase. I drive my Blue Belle like she is a Bentley and still fool myself into thinking that people are looking at me and thinking "Wow" when I am driving down the road.

*Shopping is much more fun when you get a solid paycheck every other week. In fact, this Friday is PAY DAY. Hmmm...

*No moment is too small to capture with a picture.

*Living life in fear is easy to do and it will take over control if you let it.

*It is hard to remember that God is still in control of your life despite the simplicity of it. He still loves you and still wants to hold you up.

*I know I am still young and the path I am on is not set in stone. I will encounter separate paths and have to make choices. In fifty years I'll look back on my life and say "That is what that was for!" but I can't see the future so I just have to have trust in my unseen future.

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot to chew on, Megan, and a lot of great insights. I love when you write posts like this and allow us to see inside your head (which seems to be planted firmly on your shoulders, I might add). Life will never go the way we plan for it to, but that is where our faith in God comes in. Put your trust and worries in His hands because He will never lead you astray. Love you, sissy!!

    ReplyDelete