Kudos to any of you who knows where this title comes from (aside from you - Mom and Dad!). I used this phrase PLENTY this weekend! When I get home from work today I will post a video of where this comes from (1. Because I can't get onto YouTube at work and, 2. so you can figure out where it is from!).
Why would I say this all weekend, you ask? Well, it was partly because Darby feels the need to sit by the door to go out about every 30 minutes, but it was mainly because of the ridiculousness I like to call GAME WEEKEND!
I am a game-playing, game-thinking, game-loving fool! I convinced my parents to play a game on Friday night with me which quickly escalated into a line of games to be played all weekend long! If you know me at all you know that I am a very cold-natured person so naturally I wanted to sit in front of the fire to play these games. This lead to the card table being set up. It is perfect for playing games, hence the name! So I got to play the games while enjoying the fireplace - what a combination!
For those of you that do not know my family very well, we are competitive! We each like to win. We don't hold grudges afterward or anything if we lose, but we like to win! I mean, who doesn't! This always make for a more interesting game! I always enjoy playing games with my Aunt Becky's family (she is my Aunt that also lives in the same town as me - so we see them a lot!!). We get really into the games we play! Well, it is no different when there is only 3 of us verse 13 (or whatever we are up to now!).
The three games we chose to play were Rummy, Triple Yahtzee, and Scrabble. All very entertaining and exciting to us, even if they aren't for you! Rummy was lucky enough to be played first and it took us late into Friday night to complete the game. The point is to be the first to 500 points. This makes for several short rounds to complete the game. My Daddy is a Rummy master! He is SO good at this game! But my Mama was DOMINATING this game Friday! She was ahead by like 100 points the whole time, except for the last 2 hands. My Daddy was still dragging but I somehow managed to come closer to my mom. Last hand I beat her by 5 points (we both went over 500). It was crazy, people. There were plenty of "Heavens to Mergatroyds" uttered in this game! This is when I learned about this saying and where it came from (anyone else know where this is from yet??).
That game of Rummy was about all we could handle for one night in addition to the time pushing 11 PM!
Saturday morning, after having breakfast at IHOP, Daddy and I decided to play a two person game of Rummy against one another. We agreed that a two-person game would be fun because you have more cards to play with than you do with three or more people playing. With one hand left (Dad in the lead) we decided to play Scrabble with my Mommy. This was a very fun game of Scrabble! Of course my dad won but I must say, we all came up with some great words!! It was just fun! Then we had to eat of course but after dinner the Triple Yahtzee came out! The game I was looking forward to playing most! I love Triple Yahtzee! We had a fair share of “Heavens to Mergatroyds” in this game as well! Well, it was a close game! We all did well, I can’t remember who won though…
Game weekend came to a sad end with a TERRIBLE game of Scrabble. It was late and we were all tired only adding to the terrible letters we all kept getting. Needless to say, game night/weekend was over after that! BUT, I had a blast playing games! I always forget how much I love a good board game! So I encourage you to pull out your favorite board game(s) and have a game night or weekend with your family and/or friends!!
Happy Gaming!
Have you played Rummikub! It is so much fun! We will have to play it one day! Amber
ReplyDelete